Friday 10 March 2023

Goblin Vomit

My gut talks to me. It often makes loud noises before or after eating a meal. Expressing dissatisfaction or gratitude it’s impossible to tell. I've never been what you might call a 'body botherer' but  I decided, at last, it was payback time for years of devoted service. 


I’m talking about gut bacteria, the key to mental health, heart health, the key to everything good from weight loss to spiritual plenitude. You can even get this good bacteria in pill form—essentially dehydrated poo from more enlightened eaters.


I’m grateful for the sterling job my stomach does but not that grateful. I decided to go for Kimchi and Sauerkraut, little plastic containers of the stuff found in my local Waitrose.


The problem is how to eat it? I dug a spoon into the Sauerkraut, held my nose and swallowed. Horrible. Horrible. The Kimchi was even worse. I’m all for fermented stuff. I like fermented stuff. Never had any trouble with beer. But this?



Goblin Vomit

 

So how to eat it? Maybe a spoonful a day, like cod-liver oil, but there’s no spoon small enough for this. Eat it with something then; what might smother a repugnant taste? Now, Sauerkraut goes well in the Polish dish, Bigos, but the recipe calls for kilos of sundry meats, and mounds of white cabbage, in which the Sauerkraut is heavily outnumbered.


 Far too complicated. 


It apparently goes well with the classic American hotdog sausage sold over here in jars, but one reading of the jar put me off. Enough nitrates there to sink a ship, the Sauerkraut a Trojan horse for everything bad, a sugar-coated cyanide pill.


Every day I wander duty-bound to the fridge, stare at the Kimchi and Sauerkraut and shut the fridge door again. Subconsciously I’m waiting for their expiry dates to come and go and then bin them with a clear conscience. Replace them with a four-pack of Guinness. My gut bacteria, I think, would approve. 

6 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

I'm sorry you're having gut trouble. Greg is big into probiotics--at least when his gut is talking to him. :)


He usually goes for probiotic pills, but I try to steer him toward saurkraut or Greek yogurt.
I like the saurkraut I make, but I'll eat the commercial stuff too.
I love kimchi too, but not the jarred stuff.
Miso has good gut bacteria too.

Re: American hot dogs in jars

Heresy!

Luba Meader said...

Well, you certainly made my day, Michael. I'm sorry but I laughed my ass off when I read your post. Even me who's from Germany, originally, wouldn't eat Sauerkraut to clean out my gut. UGHHH!!! BUT, if you insist on eating sauerkraut, dress it up man!!! For example: Cut an apple in it and cook it to take the sting out of it. Cool it and then jar it. Or add dill to it. Or caraway seed, flavor it up some, but an apple is best. Better yet, try this for a routine for cleansing, lemon and water. To dress that up a little, add ginger and honey. That's some real good bacteria right there. Ehrlich, ich hab gelacht. Sauerkraut, jarred wieners, kimchee, goblin vomit. πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜†

Mike Keyton said...

Luba, I’ll dress it up and send it back home with a few polite words

Mike Keyton said...

Maria, I don’t think I have gut trouble at all. It just makes beautiful music for which I think it should be rewarded. But Kimchi is a step too far. Greek Yoghurt I like, and just for you I will buy a jar of American hot dogs . My stomach will know who to blame or applaud

Luba Meader said...

On a more serious note Michael, have you heard or read about 'glysophates?' The reasons glysophates are so damaging is that it harms your gut health. Glysophates are in most foods. Gut health is deeply connected to the rest of our body's health. When your gut comes under attack the whole body's health is at risk. Beyond digestion, critical functions like immune function and brain health are profoundly connected. Good gut food in the a.m. are fruits, watermelon, mangoes, etc. Or as I mention some in my first post. Organic foods are best, as they are not treated with that herbicide that contains glysophate. (I recommend to stay away from California wines, they contain glysophates)

Mike Keyton said...

Thanks for the tip πŸ˜€