Friday 19 May 2023

Banter

I go back to Liverpool on special occasions. When my mother was alive I went often, and the highlight of Sunday mornings was the Billy Butler show: ‘Hold Your Plums’. (Don’t ask)

The format was simple, a phone-in quiz. The result was comedy gold, as callers struggled to find an answer despite clues that all but gave it it to them.  I’m not too sure I’d recommend listening to these short clips (5mins average) all in one go, but even now I found myself snorting with disbelief and laughter, much like I did all those years ago. They also bring back memories of teaching, where I would be determined to tease out an answer, and the pupil would be equally determined not to give it. 

Words change in meaning. Gay is a good example. Banter a less obvious one. When the word emerged in the C17th it was seen as aggressive street talk verging on bullying. For much of my life it’s been defined as affectionate teasing between friends, an important bonding exercise. 

More recently its definition seems to be reverting to the original C17th meaning – at least if HR Departments are to be believed. Women’s groups too. The term banter is itself gendered, argues UCL gender studies professor Katherine Twamley who, while acknowledging women also indulge in banter, argues that it has become more closely aligned with ‘lad culture.’  “I know plenty of men who can banter without racially slurring others or making misogynist comments,” Twamley continues. “However when a word is used to mask behaviour that is fundamentally abusive, vindicating it as ‘just a bit of fun,’ banter becomes a damaging concept that can result in victims feeling silenced.” 

Bullying is bullying. It shouldn't  be redefined as 'banter'. Judge for yourself whether those on ‘Hold Your Plums’ feel silenced. I’ve never met a silenced Scouser in my life. The glory of the city is that from an early age people have learnt to laugh at themselves and laugh at others. May it continue until the end of time 


Enjoy






2 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

Greg and I would never have connected if it hadn't been for banter. I could dish it out as well as he could. A match made in heaven. :)

Mike Keyton said...

It’s a bonding exercise. It’s possible that those who can’t deal with it wish to redefine and inhibit it