Friday 27 May 2011

New adventures

When I walked off the plane I felt like was walking into a damp overcoat a size too small, and wondered whether I’d made a mistake in rejecting Sister Katherine Waters’ offer of a permanent job in New York. But then history would have been different.

Customs checked my hand-made octave mandola, and my 1,500 dollar Gibson mandolin, and asked when and where I’d bought them. England I said. He studied my face for honesty and let me through.

It was wonderful to see old friends again, tramp along country lanes with Bernie and Greg; good to have a decent pint…fish and chips. But already I missed the huge blue skies, the sparkling air, the sense of vast spaces that encouraged big thoughts. The dream of a child in a hospital bed had come and gone, and now I felt like a ghost in my own country. The familiar had become strange.

Even stranger was the fact that someone else was sitting in my chair, at my work desk in school. Someone with eyes that twinkled and a smile that could thaw winter. I lost a chair but gained a wife, but no more shall be said of her here. My wife and children have their own voices, their own story to tell or not tell.

8 comments:

Misha Gerrick said...

Rest assured in the knowledge of the fact that unfamiliar will become known once again. :-) Good luck with the adjustment.

Maria Zannini said...

Ref: Someone with eyes that twinkled and a smile that could thaw winter.

Aw, Mike. You romantic, you.

Unknown said...

I'm with Maria. That is just so romantic. Ah...

Mike Keyton said...

Misha, thanks. You're right. The only downside is what you lose :)

Maria and Shirley it still puzzles me how things worked out, because I'm an idiot, a schmuck - worse - a shy schmuck...and now I'm a grumpy shy schmuck. Is there such a word as schmuck? It sounds like there should be.

Author Susan Griscom said...

I must remember to check your posts regularly, because I enjoy them so much. For some reason, I've never figured out how to get notifications of the blogs I follow. I agree with Maria a couple posts back where she said your posts are like walking into a dream or something like that. A very good dream.

Susan

Mike Keyton said...

Susan, thank you. That's incredibly kind

Claudia Zurc said...

Hi Mike,
the line: "...and now I felt like a ghost in my own country. The familiar had become strange." This reminds me of the topic for a contest going on here in Canada. If you want to participate let me know and I'll send you the info. Writers from abroad are welcome. I also have two places that are accepting plays from undiscovered playwrights. Now, you said you just finished a screen play but could this also pass by a play? Let me know if you want to inquire about submitting there. Good luck!

Mike Keyton said...

Hi Claudia, thank you for this. I'll email you